ATTENTION NEW CLIENTS
Prior to your appointment, it’s important to follow these guidelines for getting a flawless Airbrush Spray Tan:
- NEW CLIENTS there is a small percentage of people whose skin does not respond favorably to Airbrush Tanning solution therefor Liquid Sunshine does not recommend scheduling an Airbrush Tan for a special occasion e.g. wedding, photoshoot or modeling assignment without doing a trial session first. Liquid Sunshine can not guarantee the desired outcome of your Airbrush Tan for your special occasion if a trial tan has not been done first.
- When booking your trial tan please make sure that there is availability on our schedule for the special event itself (We recommend 2-3 days prior).
- Please schedule all beauty treatments with your Airbrush Spray Tan in mind.
- Do not wax the day of your tan. It is strongly recommended that you have any waxing done at least 24 hours prior to your Airbrush Spray Tan. Waxing after your spray tan will completely remove your tan.
- Please DO NOT shower within 4 hours of your Airbrush Spray Tanning appointment as doing so may open up your pores and this may result in an undesired result. If you must take a shower prior to coming in please make sure it is a cold water rinse only, no products.
- Please do not shave any part of your body 24 hours or less prior to your tanning appointment.
- Do not use shaving cream for a minimum of 24 hours prior to your Airbrush Spray Tan. Shaving cream will leave a film on your skin, creating a barrier that prevents the tanning solution from absorbing properly. Please note that the moisturizing strip on your razor can create a barrier on your skin as well. We recommend using our Ph Balancing lotion or body wash in place of shaving cream both before and after your Airbrush Spray Tan for the best results.
- After shaving please be sure to thoroughly wipe the newly shaved area off with a washcloth to insure you have completely removed any shaving product left on your skin.
- Please schedule your manicure and/or pedicure appointments at least 24 hours prior to your tanning appointment, as the lotions and scrubs used on your skin may result in an uneven tan.
- If you are having lash extensions applied, be sure to schedule that appointment 24 hours before your tan, or 24 hours after you have rinsed off the cosmetic bronzer, as the Tanning solution may affect the glue.
- Stay away from any Dove products, both before and after your tanning appointment. Using any bar soap or body wash— especially Dove—will cause your tan to fade quickly and possibly become patchy. It can also make your tan look orange. **Please read the list below of "Products to Avoid**
- It is highly recommended you use our Ph Balancing Cleanser and Lotion both before and after your Airbrush Tan, as it has been formulated to be used specifically with our Airbrush Spray Tanning solutions.
- Proper exfoliation is very important!
- Exfoliate 24 hours prior to your tan with an exfoliating mitt and water only.
- Please do not exfoliate with oil-based scrubs. The oils in these scrubs can stay in your pores, which creates a barrier and can cause an uneven tan.
- When exfoliating, pay special attention to dry areas such as hands, elbows, knees, and ankles.
- If you tend to have really dry areas on your elbows, knees, ankles and feet please moisturize them really well in the days/weeks leading up to your appointment. I recommend coconut oil, jojoba oil or CeraVe Healing Ointment.
- Applying a new Airbrush Spray Tan over an old Airbrush Spray Tan will cause an unfavorable result. Please be sure to completely remove any old Airbrush Spray Tan you might have left on your skin prior your next appointment as we WILL NOT apply a new Airbrush Spray Tan over an old one.
- If you have a sunburn or are peeling, we do not recommend you receive an Airbrush Spray Tan until your skin is completely healed as spraying over a sunburn will create a splotchy result.
- Women’s tans may develop differently during various hormonal changes, such as ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy, breast feeding, or menopause. Your Airbrush Spray Tan may be streaky, patchy, fade unevenly, or produce lighter, and in some cases, no color. It is also important to note that some medications can also affect your tan.
Products to Avoid
We are often asked which over the counter products are best to use before and after a spray tan…unfortunately we cannot recommend any products other than what we sell here in the studio. Our products have been formulated to be used with our Airbrush Spray Tan solutions and will not have a negative affect on your tan.
The following is a list of commonly used body care products and ingredients that can have a detrimental effect on an Airbrush Spray Tan. This is not all-inclusive, but simply a guide for products to avoid, as they can lighten or make a sunless tan blotchy or change color:
- Aerosol sunscreens
- AHA products (Alpha Hydroxy Acids: Glycolic, Lactic, Malic, Citric, and Tartaric acids)
- Products containing mineral oil, petroleum or parabins
- Anti-acne products that exfoliate or dry the skin, such as Accutane and Salicylic acid
- Antibiotics or other medications that affect your skin can also affect your tan
- Anti-aging products that "renew," "refresh," or otherwise exfoliate skin
- Band-Aid or adhesive tape applied to skin will pull the tan off
- Bar soaps and body wash, especially deodorant or antibacterial varieties, some examples are:
- Irish Spring
- Dr. Bronners
- Victoria Secret Products
- Bath and Body Works
- Oil of Olay
- BHA Products (Beta Hydroxy Acids: salicylic acid)
- Body hair bleach products will bleach the tan. Non-bleach skin lighteners are fine. Biore-type adhesive facial strips or “peel-off” masks
- Bug spray, perfumes, or body sprays that are sprayed directly onto skin can remove or fade the tan. Instead, spray clothing, or spray a "cloud" of spray that you can walk through, instead of spraying directly onto skin.
- Curel lotions will fade a tan faster, on some people
- Facial masks
- Exfoliating scrubs
- Hair Inhibiting Lotions (Jergens, etc.) tend to make a sunless tan yellow
- Makeup remover cleaning products, or oils used to clean away eye makeup
- Retin-A type products (Retin-A, Renova, Tazorac, Tretinoin) all will cause faster fading
- All brands of Shaving gel or cream
- Razors with a moisture strip on it
- Toners containing alcohols or witch hazel in the top three ingredients listed can lighten a tan
- Wax or Depilatory hair removal products such as Nair, Veet, Neet, etc.